Saturday, May 3, 2008

BMCC king of the lake series #1

Saturday night, just got back to the hotel after a great day of racing.  Wes, Danny, Eddie, and I headed down yesterday to Wilkesboro for the first round of the king of the lake series.  It is an interesting format, we raced a cross country time trial this morning and then a dual slalom this afternoon.  Tomorrow we will race a super d race which is a really pedaly downhill race.  What makes the format so cool is the emphasis is on the overall points from all events.  Anyways the TT was sick.  The most fun 8 mile section of trail I have ever ridden.  Wes and I have talked a little smack about this event and when it came time to race I went off first and he started one minute behind me.  Talk about running scared for 8 miles.  It was super fun and somehow I managed to hold him off, not by much  (7 seconds) but enough to not be passed.  Wes took the overall win up on me by 52 seconds, I came in second with a pretty good margin over 3rd.  It was hard!  34mins 59secs average heart rate 182 bpm.  Hard!!!!!  Next up was slalom.  It was a really fun course and there were some really good riders on hand.  Wes and I met up first round and we agreed it would only be fair if I didn't pedal.  I managed to make it out of that round ok.  Next round it got a lot harder, I met Dwight, a super fast bmx racer from Raleigh.  He threw down a great gate and we pulled even through the first few turns. It was a great race bu I ended up taking it and heading to the finals with Joe Haley.  For those of you that don't know Haley took 4th at the national championships in Vermont last year.  Our runs could of been the finals at the national champs this year.  I gave it all I had and think he did to.  We were flat out, in the end I barely took the win.  It was slalom racing at its best.  Big thanks to all the guys at Brushy Mountain Cycling Club for a great day of racing and looking forward to another tomorrow with the super D.  Check out more at BMCC

No comments:

the long drive cross country

the long drive cross country
somwhere in Utah